The airstrip was in operation in the early 1930s being used for light aircraft and utilising the present single runway. In 1941 the airstrip was developed by the RAF at a cost of £38,000 and a second runway constructed running North/South. On the 10th of August 1941 it was officially opened as 40 Satellite Landing Ground, with 45 Maintenance Unit Kinloss using the airfield for storage of Spitfires, Havocs,and Whitleys, with the occasional Wellington 1c bomber.
In 1943 Dornoch was taken over by 46 Maintenance Unit Lossiemouth, used for storing Beaufighters, 90 being held in May 1944 and 108 in July. In 1945 planes were being prepared for service rather than storage.
There is no mention of Lancaster bombers at the airfield in official records. The aircraft shown in the only photograph available from the time, indicate that they were twin engined Avro Manchester aircraft. These were withdrawn from service when the Avro Lancaster became operational. The last aircraft departed in late September 1945 with the airfield closing on 30th September that year.
The airstrip was re-established in 1967 as a stop en-route flying from Inverness to Wick by Loganair but after about 5 years this proved to be uneconomical and was closed down with the airfield reverting to its original light aircraft use.